I wonder if I bought the right camera for a visual artist

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
barbara j Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: I wonder if I bought the right camera for a visual artist

Dimitri P wrote:

Hello,

I just purchased a EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens for the three main purposes:

1. To photograph my paintings (2d).

2. To photograph my exhibitions in gallery settings.

3. To make videos at exhibition openings.

Questions:

1. Is this camera good enough to photograph large 5'x4' paintings and then give the file to a printer to reproduce as a print. I took some pretty good pictures of my paintings and turned them into nice looking 5"x7" cards. I am happy with that. But I am wondering about larger print sizes up to 24"x36".

2. I tried to photograph my current exhibition (interior shots in a large space) from a tripod and the results were dismal. Grainy. Not super sharp. The cell phone took better pictures. ( I dont have a lot of experience with using Canon DSLR)

3. The videos of the exhibition were also terrible. The focus keeps hopping as I pan the camera on the tripod. Grainy. Not sharp.

Am I just not using all the capabilities of this Canon or I need a more expensive camera?

Help.

Thanks,

Dimitri.

I always think of a Rebel as a camera I would take to NASCAR but no reason it shouldn't perform inside. One thing I know about galleries is the lighting is tricky. In a museum, not so much, in a gallery, the light has colors and they may not be consistent. I can't really see the quality of this kind of image on the camera LCD so I will often wifi a few shots over to my iPad Air to see what I am getting. I can preview the raw, but not process them on the iPad. But I just need to see them big enough to see if they are falling apart, or all yellow or something.

For your video question, I would take a sample over to the video forum.

Also, typically, you are your own worst critic, the stuff may not be as bad as you think.

barbara j's gear list:barbara j's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow