Sony A7R II and 50mm 1.8 - Pulsing, Refocusing, etc. Normal or no?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401
Sony A7R II and 50mm 1.8 - Pulsing, Refocusing, etc. Normal or no?

I'm pretty new to the Sony A7R II. In the past, I used the A7R and the Zeiss 55mm. This time, when I bought another A7R, I tried the 50mm 1.8. I was well aware of it being a slower focus lens. However, I have two issues that I cannot figure out.

1) The lens always pulses when autofocuses. It never can autofocus in one swift motion... it always goes out and then back in a little to acquire focus. Is this normal with this lens? If so, it is ok... but if not, it is possible I haven't got the right AF settings. Is there a way to stop this?

2) The lens always refocuses. Even if I'm photographing the same thing at the same distance... it always has to refocus with every shot. How do I stop that from happening? Sony AF is a lot more complicated settings wise than the Fujis I am used to, so again it might be I have a setting wrong somewhere.

I don't remember these issues with the original A7R, but it has been years since I used it and the 55mm is a different class of lens.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Ricoh GR III Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 +8 more
Sony a7R Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow