Bugging with an off-body flash

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cubits Forum Member • Posts: 93
Bugging with an off-body flash

I picked up one of those bargain-bin Yongnou 560 flashes to use as a slave to get more light on macro subjects and to throw it from a different angle. It's cheap but still a very neat bit of kit, and comes with a built in bounce card, a table stand, and even a soft case.

The best thing is being able to control the power without having to dive into a menu on the camera. If i want to trigger it optically i can just use the pop-up flash on my v2 set to 1/32, or use the on-body flash (the sbn5 if i want some direction) as a second light to give a bit more shape.

Flying ant on a stump of my mint bush. Not sure what's eating my mint... Classic 30-110mm with 26mm extension. Flash was a bit hot, but that'll be fixed soon.

This guy was starting to pack up for butterflyification. Shot on my old 50mm Series-E, which is a fantastic lens for this kind of work! I highly recommend trying a fully manual lens for macro, particularly on the 1 series.

I've just ordered a small "frying pan" folding softbox which looks like an awesomely wide diffuser. My cobbled together trick of stuffing tissue into the little diffuser lid thingy is obviously still leaving quite a harsh, directional light.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow