Cybershot RX10iii--the dreaded "turn camera off and then on again" screen

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doug Greenberg Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Cybershot RX10iii--the dreaded "turn camera off and then on again" screen

I just returned from a safari to Kenya and Tanzania. After endless rumination about what gear to bring, I settled on a tripartite strategy for photographic scenery and wild animals and birds. I took my Sony RX10iii, my Panasonic Lumix G9 with a 100-400mm zoom, and my new Nikon Z7 plus a 500mm telephoto.

For a week, this system worked very well. But then I apparently got careless. The roads in Africa are famously bumpy (hence, the standard references to the "African massage"). I put the cameras down on the empty seats in the large Toyota safari vehicle (there were only two of us, plus the guide/driver). The RX-10 apparently got jostled while it was still turned on and the lens jammed at the extended position. I found that when I turned the camera off and then on again, the lens would not retract and I got the on-screen message, "turn the camera off and then on again." Following this instruction did not solve the problem.

Ok, I busted my camera, and it was my fault. The truth is that a bridge-type camera is simply not as robust under adverse conditions as a high-quality larger-format camera. I should have been more careful, mea culpa, etc. I put the camera away for the rest of the trip and made due with the two remaining cameras plus my iPhone for most scenics. No, I did not suffer.

But now that I am back I want to get the Sony camera fixed. I looked up repairs for this model and I understand that Sony does not repair the cameras itself. I was referred to Precision Camera, which provides a standard estimate for $389.00. It might end up being more or less than this. Ugh.

Does anyone have knowledge of any cheaper yet still reliable alternatives? I saw a video on YouTube that showed how a similar lens-extending camera can be fixed via do-it-yourself in ten minutes using a set of small screwdrivers. I am not much for do-it-myself repairs that involve opening the camera up and fiddling with the innards.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any experience an wisdom to share before I ship off my camera to Precision Camera and pay through the nose to have my RX10iii fixed?

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley, California

Doug Greenberg's gear list:Doug Greenberg's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow