Little Pete's Before Color

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Old Ricoh User
Old Ricoh User Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Little Pete's Before Color

With all the cultural destruction and gentrification going on in Philadelphia I knew it was only a matter of time before the well loved Little Pete's diner was done for. One of the last 24 hour joints left in center city where all walks of life were welcome and treated equally. For almost 23 years Little Pete's was my home away from home. While I've taken photos in the diner over the years I never properly documented the place mostly because out of hunger and long conversations with the other regulars and staff. Today the diner has been demolished for two years now and a new shiny trendy hotel is on the rise. So I began to shoot every time I walked through the doors with the little Ricoh GRD camera and at first I was happy with the results but then something didn't feel right. It took me a few days to figure out that black and white was all wrong, it felt that I was doing a disservice to the beloved diner and all of its colorful glory, including its customers. Color was something I was never that comfortable with but it was time for me to adjust my comfort level for a place that meant so much to me. The owners, staff, and regulars gave me full access to the diner and themselves. I miss them all.

https://philly.eater.com/2014/10/31/7140215/little-petes-photographer-michael-penn

-- hide signature --

www.michaelpennphotography.com

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow