MFT lens cases?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Orangorill
OP Orangorill Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: MFT lens cases?

alcelc wrote:

What are the lenses you wish to use?

For certain special lenses, e.g. the Panny 12-32, 35-100 f/4-5.6 etc, I use the JJC neoprene lens pouches ( https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32747410203.html ) for those specific lenses.

Otherwise, for more regular size lenses (14-140, 12-35, 45-150, 45-200 etc), I shall use the usual water bottle case for smaller size water bottle (350ml~500ml). Might be slightly larger (7omm diameter) than the lens, but I could put their hood inside and the slightly larger size allowing me to pick out the lens easier than a well fit lens pouch. These were particularly useful when I use a backpack/sling camera bag that I can hang them on the stripe or my belt for easy lens swapping.

Some neoprene beer can holder could also be used, usually inside my proper camera bag only. Generally they would be too tight for easy pick out/put in that can affect the lens swapping speed. These thinner padded material are also just good for avoiding scratch among gears but not well enough for hit protection.

The lenses I'm thinking of are typically the ones that are about as wide as the mount itself, such as the Olympus 17mm, 45mm and 60mm, the Lumix 12-32mm and 25mm, as well as assorted Mitakon, 7Artisans and Laowa manual lenses. The bigger zooms (I personally have the 14-140mm and 100-300mm) are suitably canonesque and fit nicely in "normal" lens cases.

The MFT mount is about 5,5 cm wide, and many of the lenses have a length of about that as well. The inner dimension of most 'small' size cases and pouches is much more than that. Those JJC bags seem to fit nicely though, probably going to order a couple more once I've tried mine out.

The hipster in me kind of wants old style leather cases, but the imitations you find on Aliexpress, ebay and the like tend to have inner dimensions of something like 8x10cm, which sounds more like a DSLR kit zoom to me. Perhaps I could find some genuine vintage ones at a thrift shop. Old Leica and Olympus primes have more in common size wise with MFT gear than they do with modern zooms.

Orangorill's gear list:Orangorill's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow