Telescope recommendations?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP Polacofede Senior Member • Posts: 1,147
Re: Telescope recommendations?

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

William Optics Redcat 51 which is a 250mm telephoto/lens/telescope would be hard to beat. It will handle a full frame camera. Most small refractors do not unless you get into serious dollars. They also will require accessories like a flattener to enable good stars to the corners probably even for the APSc sized sensors. You'd have to check the specifications.

good point.

William Optics has a range of small refractor (lens) type telescopes. Something smallish would be suitable say up to 71mm in aperture. They have a 61mm scope. You need small and light and not too long a focal length otherwise you will need a much heavier and expensive mount that requires more accessories. But you will be limited to using APSc sensors and even then that may be an issue.

Between a 61mm telescope and the Redcat 51, I would pick the Redcat 51. Smaller, lighter, at the edge of what your mount will handle.

well, sounds reasonable

Does not really need computerised go-to but will need a

red dot finder

whats that?

to be able to locate your imaging targets.

It will handle a full frame camera like your K1. You can also use your astrotracer to do 30 second exposures and stack a lot.

Keep it small, keep it light, keep it shorter focal length otherwise you will hit trouble.

yeah, i will. The redcat seems to be a practical option by many reasons.

I do think you will see a gain from using a scope versus those lenses you are currently using.

yeah but then, as you said, before investing in a short telescope would be better to go to the redcat lens.

Greg.

thanks a lot!

-- hide signature --
 Polacofede's gear list:Polacofede's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow