Telescope recommendations?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP Polacofede Senior Member • Posts: 1,147
Re: Telescope recommendations?

Alen K wrote:

Looking at your photos on Flickr, you are doing great with what you already have!

thanks!

The bad news, and this is just my opinion, is that any telescope your tracker could adequately support (with the counterweight kit for it that you must already be using) - which would be an APO refractor of some kind from 50mm to (maybe!) 80mm aperture - would give you only a marginal improvement over the lenses you are already using. You would maybe get somewhat smaller stars and better looking stars in the corners. Whether those improvements in PQ would be worth it is up to you.

well, that was exactly what i wanted to avoid, to invest in something to end up with almost the same results. I hoped, the difference could be bigger.

Re autoguiding your tracker, you certainly could. But, again just IMO, that takes away from the primary advantage of using a tracker: its simplicity of operation. Longer sub-exposures are good up to a limit (beyond which your final image won't get any better assuming the same total exposure time) but the cameras you have exhibit very low read noise, so even 20- and 30- second subexposures at f/5.6 are workable. (I have proof. And more proof.)

interesting point, i will keep that in mind. I mean to try to get more samples of shorter exposures instead to try to get longer that are more complicated to get.

Something i saw using the auto-guiding ( on the video )  is that it could help with the alignment. I'm in the south hemisphere and i don't have a bright star easy to spot, so finding sigma oct and align from it is a bit more difficult.

It sounds to me like your next logical step is to get a full-blown EQ mount supporting a telescope of longer focal length, say in the 800mm range, plus or minus 100mm.

what eq mount and telescope would you suggest in that case?

You would be able to capture larger images of smaller DSOs as well as planets and close-ups of the moon with a barlow or eyepiece projection. (Planets are better captured with much longer focal lengths and different cameras, but you could at least start this way.) Affording that new gear sounds like the main issue but buying used can help a lot. (I have bought most of my telescope gear used.)

i will keep an eye for used gear. It seems that we are talking about expending some thousands ... is not something i could do right now but in a not so distant future.

thanks a lot for taking the time for such elaborated response.

-- hide signature --
 Polacofede's gear list:Polacofede's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow