Nikon Z Rangefinders and Native Monochrome (Daydreaming #1)

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Curtis B New Member • Posts: 1
Nikon Z Rangefinders and Native Monochrome (Daydreaming #1)

I was just reflecting on the days when Leica made the film rangefinders and everyone including Nikon and Canon had their iterations.  Now we have the digital rangefinders from Leica that are a bit on the spendy side.   Fuji has sort of addressed it with the X-Pro line I suppose and perhaps others I'm thinking of off hand.  Just thinking Nikon could do worse than to put out an APS-C rangefinder styled more on say the Df conceptually.  Or for that matter a full frame Df mirrorless?

Keep in mind I'm sort of a fan of the retro-ish cameras although the only one I have like that is the X100f.  Other than film cameras etc.  What I expect for Z APS-C though is something very similar to the full frame z's but smaller perhaps.  Probably aimed more at challenging the Sony Alpha lineup.  Nikon isn't really that big of company compared to the Fuji's, Sony's, and Canons so I do see it's unrealistic to expect.  Then again if done right it might be a hit, one never knows.

I've been holding off on getting a new Z just yet and sticking with the D750 while we wait out the product release cycle a bit more.  My plan is to eventually convert over when more lenses are out and the like. All at once.  At the moment my intent is to stick with Nikon most likely when I make the big switch.  Probably...

It's just sometimes I look at the Df though and wish they would update that concept. Given the future is mirrorless a Df rangefinder might actually be pretty cool.  Or like they did the A(stro) variant with the D810 perhaps something that is native monochrome.  Even at half the price of the Leica M Type 246 it would still be pretty spendy.  Not emulated monochrome though but the genuine article.  I do like the Fuji emulations though I'm not knocking it.  To really make it price competitive with Leica they could just go APS-C.  It would be smaller lighter like the x100 line over at Fuji. Except with DX Z glass I suppose.

Thoughts?

More kind of a "what if" topic though

Curtis B's gear list:Curtis B's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +20 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Nikon D750 Nikon D810 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow