images not looking like they should

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tdaniels8814 New Member • Posts: 2
images not looking like they should

Hello!

I'm trying to get my photography business going, but I'm not happy with the images. I used to work in a Walgreens photo lab years ago and I would see people coming in to print professional photographs. So I know how they could/should be. It's made me very critical of my work. People tell me they like my photos, but I feel like something could be improved. But I'm not sure what to change. I think they should be more sharp, clear, focused. It would either be the way the image is shot (automatic), the lens, camera or editing. I've seen photographers shoot in automatic and still have better images then mine. (I am trying to get into one of the priority modes soon, just trying to put it all together.) My lenses are nothing special (AF-S Nikkor 18-140mm 3.5-5.6 and AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5-5.6). I use a Nikon D7100.
So I had thought it might be the lens. I was photographing my friend who was modeling for a photographer. He had the D7200, but a prime lens. So the camera isn't far off, but the lens is. Would the difference between a zoom and prime lens change my picture quality that much? I saw his image on a website and compared it to the ones I took and there were some differences. Just the clarity for one. His looked like a professional photo. I could be being critical, but I just didn't feel like mine was on that level. I know he edits the photos a lot. I've been trying to play around with Photoshop but I've been having a few issues with the sharpening. It made the pictures look worse.
When I was purchasing my lenses, money was an issue so I was looking at more of a multipurpose. I like to photograph mostly nature and wildlife, but I am trying to get into portraits and things like that. So I wanted a lens that had a good zoom to shoot a variety of animals at different ranges. Then an everyday lens that is good for pictures of my family, but still with a little zoom just in case. I had shot my friends small wedding before and she just loved the pictures. So I'm trying to take that next step but I just feel like something is holding my photos back. I'm just trying to figure out what it is. Without actually seeing any of my photos, could the issue be with the zoom lens and not using a prime? Is the D7100 capable of photographing how I'd like it to? Or would the camera need to be upgraded? And is the picture really made with the way it's shot or more with editing? I hope all this made sense!

Thank you!!!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7100 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow