Final advice, I am buying one of them this week

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
SineV Junior Member • Posts: 31
Final advice, I am buying one of them this week

I posted another thread, a few depending where you look, because I couldn't figure out what I wanted. After an exhausting week, I am looking for your two cents. Here are my options.

Canon ef 100-400L (already owned) with a 500d (or similar) close up lens for macro stuff (which I think gives this lens a roughly 0.8 magnification with the close up),

I have the opportunity to get a good condition, used, and well maintained canon 180mm macro for about 900$, and use that as the new toy being that it is a great lens and excellent macro,

I get the 17-40, fill in a gap with a good quality lens and add focal lengths I don't currently have, for a decent price.

If these were your options, which would you go with? This isn't going to make or break my decision but hopefully will bring up pros or cons that I did not initially see. "Canon makes the 180 macro out of non virgin peanut butter" You know, the important stuff that I might not know right away.

I don't want to miss an opportunity to have a great lens like the 180, which seems to have insane reviews, but really if the old 100-400 will get me macro results close enough for an enthusiast, and might leave me with some money to buy a new tripod, or maybe even the 17-40 soon after...

TL/DR

I guess my question is, if I already have the 100-400L, and really only want to play with macro and stuff in a non serious manner, would it be stupid to pass up the opportunity to get the 180mm as I find it is hard to find at a decent price, but is widely touted as one of the best. Will my IQ match whether I'm shooting the 100-400 at 180mm, or the 180 at 180mm, because maybe this is consumerism, but I feel the 180 would give better quality (though restricted focal length, but macro without need to add a close up lens). Whether that is worth it or not is up to the individual.

Anyway, I will buy this week. Just hoping for some final input.

Thank you

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow