Olympus MC-20+300mm with Low Light Levels – Go Slow.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,243
Re: Olympus MC-20+300mm with Low Light Levels – Go Slow.

JulesGo wrote:

Thanks for the post and the valuable information it contains.

The dual IS indeed allows use of very low shutter speeds and it is a blessing when using a TC with the 300mm.

I see that you are always using CAF. I will have to experiment with this. Using SAF, I get a high percentage of soft focus shots when using the MC-20 - no problems with the MC-14.

I will certainly try shooting bursts using your settings.

I find CAF to be much better with the MC20 than SAF. It is just as fast, may be more accurate for most situations, and adjusts to either your or the targets movement which is often critical given the shallow DOF. You should definitely check the focus accuracy of the combination and adjust the AF Focus Adjustment for CAF if needed. My MC20+300 did not need any adjustment, but both the MC14+300mm and the 300mm alone need a +1 adjustment for most accurate focus.  For larger targets, I use the standard size single focus point and the small single focus point for smaller targets or targets with a lot of detail.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow