Sicily with the S1R and various lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jed Z. Buchwald Regular Member • Posts: 140
Sicily with the S1R and various lenses

For vacation in Sicily I took the S1R, Pana 24-105, Sigma (L mount) 45, Tamron 28-300, and the Canon 16-35 (the latter and the Tamron via the MC-21). I also took the Panasonic ZS200 for walking around (24-360mm) - the lens is increasingly soft above about 200mm or so but still not too horrible. Plus it's easy to remember how to use since it has the Panasonic menu structure.

I confess to suffering from GAS (all the way back to the film era - I'm 70 and used to have a color darkroom), but have never been happy with the ergonomics of most digital cameras, especially the Sonys (have owned most of the latter, including the A7Riii). The S1R is superb in that respect, if heavy (which I rather like for stability). I shoot with back-button focus and have repurposed the WB button to switch focus peaking on and off, which is a godsend. The only thing I wish Panasonic would add in an update would be the ability to set a button to toggle APS-C mode on and off - that way composition would be easier when necessary, and the metering would act just on the area I want. I don't use 1:1, 4:3 etc.

Below are several images, all processed in Lightroom using various presets that try to produce the visual feeling I had when the image was shot. Most are at high ISO and so a bit noisy but still pretty decent in that respect.

I did not bring a tripod, which last night I regretted because of a gorgeous lunar halo - a rare one because pretty intensely colored. I shot it handheld in manual metering at 2sec, ISO 12800, f/22- this was the setting that worked best to produce something that could show the colors; I tried of course lower f nos and ISO, but only this one came out reasonably colorful (when processed in Lightroom) for some reason. The colors were quite visible to the naked eye. They're produced by upper-atmosphere hexagonal ice crystals randomly oriented, yielding about a 22deg angular radius.

Pana 24-105, Lunar Halo Fromm the Plemmirio peninsula south of Siracusa

Tamron 28-300, Peninsula below Siracusa

Tamron 28-300, Cyclops mosaic, Casa Romana

Canon 16-35, Segeste

Pana 24-105, Agrigento

Sigma 45, Noto

Pana 24-105, Agrigento

Jed Z. Buchwald's gear list:Jed Z. Buchwald's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD +9 more
Panasonic ZS200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow