A few questions re: new D5300

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
OP Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,990
Re: A few questions re: new D5300

toomanycanons wrote:

"I stopped all that many years ago, I only shoot Raw when I can. I guess I simply prefer the results, and the workflow. Even on my iPhone I use the Lightroom camera set to DNG mode."

Which makes no sense, at least to me. You prefer the results from shooting only raw, as if shooting jpeg + raw can't do the same? I shoot thousands of shots a month, jpeg + raw and , indeed, only process the raws but having the jpegs at hand for a lot of reasons is just really handy. For me.

Fine. We have all these options for a reason. I have tried shooting both, but never used the JPEGs, so see no point in wasting storage space, or time to deal with them.

Auto ISO shooters usually give the same reasons as you just did and I can't argue with what a person thinks he needs for his shooting workflow. Me, I've never used Auto ISO but it looks like you already knew you were going to always be shooting on Auto ISO when you started this thread. Glad I could help

I find it hard to validate an opinion on something that’s ‘never used’ by someone giving advice! I appreciate you probably have your reasons for not using such a feature, but simply saying ‘I never use it’, isn’t particularly useful information.

Besides, the question was relating to the technical capability of the camera, which you clearly can’t answer as it’s a function you’ve never used.

And no, I don’t know I’m always going to shoot Auto-ISO, but on this occasion it was a tool available that worked in the circumstances. I see all the functions of a camera as a set of tools for different jobs, I’ll use them as needed if it gets the pictures.

There are times when I want to use traditional photography techniques, and times when I simply just need to get ‘snapshots’. So, there’s no need to be snobby about it ;-). I certainly don’t base my photography techniques on the advice of one person!

best regards

-- hide signature --

Andy

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow