A few questions re: new D5300

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
OP Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,990
Re: A few questions re: new D5300

romfordbluenose wrote:

12 bit always.

Screen open always except when packed away.

Auto ISO with max set to 1600 and speed set to appropriate value for session.

Interesting, I used that on the D5100, I was  wondering if the noise was better on the D5300 to bump this up a bit.

My main gripe with D5300 is no fast way to turn auto on and off.

yes, I agree with that. I have been playing around switching between P and Auto, which does do that, but still leaves other stuff needing switching, or switches stuff I don’t want.

Single point focus with afs or afc using number of points appropriate for session. Normally with cl as sec9nd shot will reduce shake.

Yes, I think single point is still the most reliable, although multi is useful for quick reaction candid stuff.

I’m still toying with back button method too, but not sure if I can stick with that. I like it when I’m on one of my walks for taking pictures, but for thing like candid family events, standard settings seem to work better.

-- hide signature --

Andy

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow