Using macro lenses for astro?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bokemon Regular Member • Posts: 154
Using macro lenses for astro?

Hello folks,

I was thinking that I would be all clever and get a macro lens for both macro and astro.  It seems most macro lenses have good corner coma performance.  The main problem is that they don't have good manual focus in the infinity range, i.e. the focus ring seems to be too sensitive?  I dunno, maybe this problem can be overcome by just turning the ring extra carefully, or using some software to advance the focus one step at a time?

Anyway, I just wanted to check if such a thing was feasible, or there is some big problem or PITA that rules out their use.  The lenses I am considering are the Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm for use on my Nikon Z6.  Yes, I know that I would also need to get a tracker for long exposures.

bokemon's gear list:bokemon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic G85 Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +11 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow