Autofocus vs Backbutton focus

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jhunna Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Autofocus vs Backbutton focus

I have always loved the 20mm f1.7 and have adjusted my technique so that I can become better with the 20mm, so I have always used manual focus with back button auto and peaking. I have gotten pretty good shots this way, heck some of my favorite shots, but the speed was always slow.

So today, and yeah I have been playing with m43 for almost 3 years, I put my camera to autofocus and just shot with the 15/1.7 and all I can say is:

WOW!

I mean this is effortless shooting. Get the exposure and pop the shutter, it will be in focus! And I always thought the 15/1.7 was handsome, but it sticks out a bit further than I would like in my bag, but the fact that its NOT a pancake has been its only short coming.

Now I have to go through and test ALL my lenses on auto focus.  But if the auto focus improves the quality of the shots this much on all my lenses then I will be set with the 15/1.7, 42.5/1.7 and the 14-140 and I can end this search for the right kit.

Anyone else have a similar epiphany or all you all shooting with auto focus?

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow