600 IS III and 5D Mark IV image stabilization issues

Started Jul 21, 2019 | Discussions thread
hermit383
hermit383 Contributing Member • Posts: 728
Re: 600 IS III and 5D Mark IV image stabilization issues

kingofkngs wrote:

I heard back from Canon customer relations today. He received a message from engineers with canon USA who received feedback from Canon Japan. I was told that essentially there is nothing that is being done and that there has been some change with the operation of the IS units between the 5DIV and Canon 600III as compared to the 600II, and to a lesser extent with the other camera bodies I mentioned (1DX2 and 5DSR). The rep said that he was not aware of anything further and there were no recommendations on ways to resolve this however “they may resolve it in a version 4.” He said there may be some sort of fix offered or service warranty (this was not that he knew there would be or that one has been suggested, just that it’s within the realm of possibilities) or perhaps a firmware upgrade.

I asked about the comment made by Canon europe that a firmware fix was in the works and he didn’t know anything about it.

So basically when I asked if Canon just wanted me to possibly buy another $13K lens in the future to rectify the issues, I got a moment of silence as he realized what they were recommending.

So basically I think I got a BIG F You from Canon for purchasing their flagship lens with no fix other than to buy a hypothetical new $13K lens if/when it comes out.

VERY UNHAPPY

So sorry to hear about that. People may disagree with me, but when looking at the specs for the lens version III i was instantly bummed just looking at the optical design. I knew it was a priority to keep up with weight savings at the sacrifice of functionality.

I know to some people this lightened weight will improve functionality but to me it will not at all, and will take away seeing as it doesn't have the best of the best with high honors image quality.

This IS issue is something totally separate but i think reflects the ethos and mindset change behind the design. It's going to be about specifications and not functionality. Much like a Sony. I can only hope to get another IS. II as a backup.

Again, sorry for making it about me. I really do feel you pain to a significant degree. Sorry to hear that :/

hermit383's gear list:hermit383's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow