Lenses for the G-9

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
evetsf Senior Member • Posts: 1,071
Re: Lenses for the G-9

Karen Casebeer wrote:

Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experience with your G-9.

Karen,

In general I've been happy with the G9. It provides what, for me, is great IQ and overall performance in a reasonable size & weight.

But, in order to verify that it would provide this, I rented one for a week from LensRentals.com along with the PanaLeica 50-200 and the 14-140 zoom. The results of that trial were such that I placed an order for my own two days into the rental.

Last week, I took a day trip to Lopez Island, WA - it's a 50-minute drive to the ferry terminal in Anacortes, WA plus another 40-minute ferry ride to Lopez Island. I met my brother & sister-in-law there; they were spending a week's vacation on the island. I'm attaching some photos from that trip. All of these were taken with the 50-200, and are unedited, uncropped SOOC JPEGS.

The first two were taken at Shark Reef Sanctuary on the western side of the island. This first one is of some harbor seals:

Temporarily Hauled Out

I say "Temporarily Hauled Out" above, because there was an incoming tide at the time - the water rose several feet while we were there, with some very strong currents between the rocks where they were resting and the island; you can see some of them and some vortices in the water. Eventually the water rose enough that the seals were forced to move.

Next, a flying gull:

Gull in Flight

I have several images of this bird as it flew past; all of them in sharp focus. The G9's autofocus, if one takes the time to tune it properly, does a good job for BIF - airplanes too.

The next group was taken farther north along the west coast of the island, at Fisherman Bay Preserves, operated by the San Juan County Land Bank. I'll get this one out of the way first - yes, I know it's overexposed, but it's the best of the shots I took:

Red-breasted Sapsucker

And now for the cute shots!

Mama

Two fawns

Obviously, they were aware of our presence, but we weren't close enough to spook them, and they soon returned to grazing. But then they alerted to something else:

Look Both Ways!

I wasn't able to see what it was, but it evidently was deemed to be more dangerous, as they took off soon after.

Hope you enjoyed these!

Steve

evetsf's gear list:evetsf's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow