Canon SX50 HS: why you might want to consider shooting RAW

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tom Verrinder New Member • Posts: 14
Canon SX50 HS: why you might want to consider shooting RAW

So having recently acquired the SX70 from AirMiles (thankfully, for free) and having been monumentally disappointed in the image quality when shooting either RAW or the in camera JPEGs, we were able to buy a lightly used SX50 locally for $170 Canadian. This is our second copy of this camera, as the shutter on the first one broke after 50,000 images.

We are immediately happy again with the image quality of our photographs. There just is no comparison between this camera and the newer camera in terms of image quality, despite the SX70 being six years newer. There are many things to like about the SX 70 (4K video, very good autofocus, very good continuous drive, excellent buffering), but image quality is not among them. I don't want to get into that too much here, as there are many threads you can read on this forum about that topic.Suffice it to say that in our opinion, adding those 8 million more photo sites destroyed the sensor on the newer camera.

For those of you shooting the SX50 in JPEG mode (i.e., using the camera to process a JPEG for you), you might want to consider shooting in RAW mode and processing the resulting CR2 file in DPP. I think you'll find that you will be able to extract better images from your shots with not very much more effort than you might put into postprocessing normally. For this shot, I took the RAW file and adjusted the chrominance and luminance noise reduction, added moire reduction, and adjusted the unsharp mask sliders to an appropriate setting (without looking over processed; I think I had the strength at 7, the fineness at 6, and the threshold at 0). The whole process, including exporting the resulting JPEG, probably took two minutes.

Both JPEGs were then edited for color saturation, levels, contrast, and in the case of the in camera JPEG, a final sharpening in my usual postprocessing program (Paint.net).

The first image is the in camera JPEG, and the second one is the one I produced with DPP.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot SX70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow