Lumix GX80 fell into arctic salt water and is WORKING

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
M mode everything
M mode everything Junior Member • Posts: 26
Lumix GX80 fell into arctic salt water and is WORKING

Just a little disclaimer: I know, all this happened due to my mistakes and you don't have to remind me about that - I know, what I should have done, but sometimes there are many factors and things just happen

View I saw after my first night on Lofoten

I was on Lofoten on my backpacking trip around the Baltic Sea thru the Arctic Circle. Of course I took my camera with me and a set of two lenses: Lumix 20/1.7 and Samyang 12/2. I also took a very compact and lightweight chinese tripod (~0.7kg) and a set of filters. I feel that Micro Four Thirds is perfect for such use cases: plenty of light (never-ending arctic day), travel, landscape and docummentary photography. Compact dimensions and low weight were absolutely critical for me as I was carrying everything (for 3 weeks) on my back

After very succesfull hitchhiking session I ended up on a camping in Gimsøya. My tent just above a beautiful sandy beach overlooking arctic water. I decided to take some long exposures on the beach as the sun was pretty low and the conditions were perfect. Set up my tripod and camera. Then, during the procedure of filter change a bigger wave came and the tripod fell into the water. Camera hit the ground with the left side and submerged to the height of the lens mount

I was not even half into my adventure so it was a pretty bad time for my camera to break
So it didn't and I took the photo below just a moment later

After a while my Lumix begun not functioning correctly, but everything was ok by the morning. When I came back home and opened the body I couldn't believe how little signs of water there were. Sand was everywhere but corrosion no, which was counter intuitive. The top plate has suffered by far the most damage (probably due to the splash of water and many openings) and I had to replace the rear dial because the connector had corroded (but I had a broken old dial, which after some cleaning with alcohol works as new). After cleaning the whole camera with alcohol there are almost no visible signs of the accident (even inside) and it works flawlessly, which I'm very grateful for

Camera opened before cleaning

Broken pin of the rear dial connector

A little introduction to my trip:

My next body will definately be weathersealed to save me from heart attacks (but then nothing is really salt-water-proof)

I admit, I had a lot of luck
If you came this far, you probably would like to check out my Instagram @mateuszgawrysiak
Don't hesitate to ask any questions :))

M mode everything's gear list:M mode everything's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS / Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow