Any expert on laptop electrics?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 5,892
Any expert on laptop electrics?

Hi,

I'm using an old laptop for occasional 2-computer-work when this old one is used to fill numbers into spreadsheets.

For some weeks now I'm facing the problem that as soon as I plug in the AC plug the computer gets mad. Sometimes it's the screen freezing or showing strange patterns. Or it resets the computer.

The intersting thing is that if I enter "Safety Mode" (offered after repeated unsuccessfull XP boots) the machine just runs fine in Safety Mode and I get the job done.

Also worth to mention that booting off batteries the computer starts just normally. It's just that the old battery doesn't last longer than about 20-30 minutes so plugging in mains is needed. And then it resets.

Please, no comments on outdated XP. This machine is offline, almost an typewriter support. But what could be the electrical problem that causes the power down / reset when plugging in the machine to mains? No damaged cable, plugs or power adapter as far as I can see.

Appreciate ideas where/what to look for.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow