Options for great OOC JPEGS and good CAF for Video

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Agius FOTO
Agius FOTO Senior Member • Posts: 2,499
Options for great OOC JPEGS and good CAF for Video

I currently own the Olympus PEN F, and really love that camera but hate its AF system, especially when shooting video.    My favourite lens is the Oly 9-18 and Oly 17 F1.8, but the 9-18 has an error that it appears makes it too expensive to justify fixing.   SO, I am considering some other options.   Now, I may just decide to replace it and stick wtih what I have because I love using it so much, especially the JPEG dial which allows me to switch between Colour profile 2 and Monochrome 2, both of which are absolutely amazing, but I am open to looking at a different camera/system that can do AF better.

Things to know.

1) I hate post processing.  I rely on the OOC JPEG which is one reason my Oly is so loved, it produces very nice JPEGS.

2) Size matters.   I hate large kits, which is why I like m43, but it appears that m43 is not the only one with smallish options, hence why I am posting here.

3) I hate changing lenses.   When I travel, the wide zoom is my favourite daytime lens, and I go for my prime at nite.   When I'm photographing or videoing my kids soccer, I'm going to want a superzoom lens that can go to at least 250 - 300mm equivalent.   I would never carry all my lenses at the same time, the superzoom would likely get the least use outside of my kids sports.

4) IBIS is a nice to have, however with OSS on a prime I can do without

5) I wish I had a weather sealed kit..again nice to have vs need to have

6) good AF is a must both for photos and video, particularly tracking and single point AF

With Sony, the a6600 seems to be the ticket, but not sure I want to spend that much on a body.   The a6400 minus the IBIS, large battery, and eye AF in video might be the best bang for my buck.  I'd consider the a6500 but I've read enough about its tracking AF/C-af implementation to be turned off.

If I had a hypothetical setup through Sony, it would be the a6400, Zeiss 10-18 OSS, Zeiss 24 f1.8 OSS, and Sony 18-200 f3.5 - 5.6.

Any thoughts around this?   I know this is a pro Sony forum and will get pro Sony answers, however you are also most knowledgeable about the Sony system. I'm also interested in Fuji to be honest.

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

My flickr account.....in its infancy as of March 2015. Feel free to comment!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130003647@N03/

Agius FOTO's gear list:Agius FOTO's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Olympus PEN-F Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow