Samyang FE 18mm f/2.8 test shots

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mr Keyboard Forum Member • Posts: 86
Samyang FE 18mm f/2.8 test shots

I was intrigued by Samyang FE 18mm when it was announced. At less than 1/3 of the price and 1/2 the weight of Batis 18mm (and also smaller in size), this seems to perfectly fit the bill of a compact and lightweight ultrawide. I couldn't find any full res samples when I preorder, but decided to take a bet. In worst case if it turns out really awful I can return it anyway.

My lens just arrived and here's some quick test shots I took with it. Shot in raw and converted to JPEG with ACR default setting and no lens correction. Hopefully this can be helpful to those interested in this lens. For comparison I also throw in 16-35GM at f/2.8 and f/5.6 at the end.

My first impression of this lens is positive. Granted, optically it's not as good as GM or Batis, but not terribly behind either, especially considering the price, size and weight. The body is all plastic and doesn't feel premium, but I do like the weight saving from plastic body. When holding the lens in hand it feels feather light. AF is quick and silent.

One thing to note is its coma correction doesn't seem good. I haven't got the chance to test it at night with lights or starts, but in the upper right corner the leaves in highlight already shows some trace of coma. It's probably not the ideal lens for serious astrophotographers.

f/2.8

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

f/11

GM @f/2.8

GM @f/5.6

Mr Keyboard's gear list:Mr Keyboard's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic ZS200 Epson R-D1 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c Canon EOS 500D +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow