A Quick lens flare trick when traveling

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 2,460
A Quick lens flare trick when traveling

Anybody else uses the fingers trick for lens flare while they are traveling?

I kind of forgot about it for a long time, but recently remembered it and started using it again, I forgot how powerful it can be and easy to do.

If you've never heard of it you take your image like the one below, really bad circumstances with the sun in the frame the subject in shadow, no way to shield the lens face from the sun and the resulting flare. Normally you'd have to accept it try to retouch out the flare and deal with the washed-out portions of the dome and problem areas destroyed by the flare, time-consuming and results are always hit and miss.

Instead, you take another frame, but this time with something blocking the sun, I like to just use my fingers. If you look at the top of the dome below my fingers, you'll notice the lack of image degradation now, big plus!

Then you just import both frames into photoshop as layers, align them, do the quick create image masks and then paint out the fingers on one frame, paint out the flare on the other and...

voilà, flare-free image, no degradation

A good tool to have in your belt, pretty simple, pretty easy, takes very little post processing time and can expand your 'keepers' ratio.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow