The Cost of Profoto just can't be justified anymore

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 12,199
Re: The Cost of Profoto just can't be justified anymore

jlafferty wrote:

Yeah, the Hensel Porty was the poor man’s Elinchrom Quadra when the Speedotron Explorer was the poor poor man’s Hensel Porty :/ But FWIW I know of a few guys who launched what are now pretty well developed and recognized careers using Portys.

Ellis Vener wrote:

jlafferty wrote:

But what about Hensel?!

Forgot about them. The first I ever heard of Hensel was the Hensel Porty a 1200 watt-second battery pack based system which was a better alternative to the similar Comet unit. This was before Profoto made something similar as well.

My recollection is that Gregory Heisler pretty much launched his career in the late 70s  using a couple of Norman 200s.

What really lit up the editorial and corporate  location photography world in the early 80s  was not any single make or model of lighting g Equipment were radio triggers and Chimera soft boxes: The Hawk was the first radio trigger system  that was reliable and the poor man’s version was the GVI Radio Slave which was was bought and became the Quantum Radio Slave. Then in the early 90s a company called LPA DESIGN came up with a substantially more reliable system than the Quantum called the PocketWizard. The PocketWizard was a more compact and simpler version of LPA’s earlier FlashWizard system and it is a system that is still going strong.

Fred Larson says he came up with the first Softbox but it was the Chimera Lightbank (Larson trademarked the word “softbox”)  which was invented by photographer Gary Regester and climber Tom Frost who made it more practical and did a better job of marketing the idea that you could replicate the quality of light coming through a well diffused window, anywhere, even outside at night or in a grimy factory or cluttered office.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow