Switching up my lens collection for 90D upgrade

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deploylinux
deploylinux Regular Member • Posts: 213
Switching up my lens collection for 90D upgrade

Whatever the limitations of bridge cameras, the Canon G15 with its built-in f1.8 24-105mm equiv lens lit my interest in Photography. I'm sure I took aroud 100k photos on that camera.

A short time later, I upgraded to Canon 80D with ef-s 17-55/f2.8 IS, ef-s 10-18mm, and EF 70-300 IS lenses... along with a speedlight 320EX Flash.

I started getting much better photos and video, especially on the 17-55/f2.8 (great lens!) ...but the weight gradually forced me to take fewer and fewer shots.  The gear was just too unwieldy for taking out all day.... And, the ef-s 10-18 was almost never used ....

So, I had to admit that upgrade failed and find a new path.....which ended up being small primes (ef-s 24mm, ef-s 35 macro, and ef-s 60mm macro)... on aps-c, those were the focal lengths that I used most often.  I have also been thinking of experimenting with EF 'L' glass...

I've ordered the 90D and a few new lenses , which will arrive tomorrow, and the new gear set will include:

Canon 90D Body plus handgrip and Speedlite 470EX AI flash

Primes: EF 24mm IS f2.8, ef-s 35mm macro, EF 50mm f1.4

Low Weight Zoom: EF 24-70 F4.0L IS w/ Macro (for video and travel)

I'm also disposing of the ef-s 24mm pancake and ef-s 60mm macro.

I'm thinking long term of adding either a EF 85mm or 100m prime and a 16-35mm 2.8 zoom? I looked at the 70-200 f2.8, but it seems heavy/unwieldy?

Would this be a good long term lens set for aps-c keeping in mind that Canon seems to be slowly abandoning ef-s and perhaps EF and I'm not sure if I'll ever upgrade to full frame and am trying to get good long term value lenses...

I do 70% photography, 30% Video.

Thank you all so much in advance...

deploylinux's gear list:deploylinux's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Canon EF-S 35mm F2.8 Macro Canon Pixma Pro-10 +1 more
Canon EOS 80D Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow