A few questions re: new D5300

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
OP Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,989
Re: Easy......

Mako2011 wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

1) You'll never in a million years see the difference between 14 and 12 bit raw. Purists will argue there's a difference, I never could see it.

It's actually pretty easy to see (once pointed out) in images/scenes were it makes a noticeable difference. Lots of examples out there. But it's rare to shoot/process a scene were there is an actual benefit to shooting 14 vs 12. Where it matters...the folks doing it know what they are doing and doing it to good effect. That is not the norm though. But when it is done well....a pleasure to see and learn from

I probably don’t have the viewing devices to take advantage anyway. My processing machine is a fairly ageing iMac, without Retina display, so I suspect I’m unlikely to see any benefit, or be able to edit to optimum.

I’ll certainly test both settings and see for myself though.

-- hide signature --

Andy

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow