My 90D mini first Review

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jim B (MSP) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,859
My 90D mini first Review

I had my first chance to take the 90D out in the field today. I went up to Madera Canyon and the Santa Rita Lodge where they feed birds. My primary objective was to be sure my primary lenses all behaved properly. I wanted to see the IQ at mid to high range ISOs. I also wanted to check my hand held macro capability and the 90D to do focus stacking of macros.

My conclusions -

1. I am very happy with the overall performance of the 90D. It is a step up from my 80D and justified its purchase. I got used to the newer feel rather quickly.

2. All the lenses I checked worked just fine: EF 100-400 mm v1, EF 70-200 f/2.8, EF 24-70 2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, and my walk about Tamron 16-300 mm.

3. IQ was very good for everything I shot today. I was pleasantly surprised at the ISO 5000 shots I took. I did not go higher today.

4. My impression is that the noise characteristics are cleaner, meaning more shot noise component and less electronic, over the ISO range 100-5000. Both Lightroom and Noiseware handled them very well, and better than for the 80D ( and 60 D).  I need to do some more systematic testing of this impression.

5. The focus bracketing addition could be very nice. I used it a little bit for regular shots, and tried a few stacked macros. The regular shots worked well, the macros not so much. I have a lot of learning to do on how to select the two focus parameters for macros.

I was not happy that I cannot (as best I can first figure out so far) assign a custom shooting mode to focus bracketing. Back to the manual later.

6. In just a couple of hours I shot about 1000 photos. The 10 frames a sec really works well. I have grown to like the new focus/shoot button.

7. I need to characterize the various focus/exposure modes one of these days.

8. The joy stick control is ok. It does make it a bit easier to move the focus point, and probably faster, though I was pretty quick with the 80D wheel.

Some shots follow:

100-400 mm at 400 mm and ISO 640. a bit of LR noise reduction. no crop

100-400mm at 400mm  ISO 4000; no crop; some LR noise reduction.

70-200 @120mm, f/4, ISO 320, some cropping an minimal LR noise reduction.

These hummers were too close and active for accurate tracking at a full 200 mm; though on a non-test day I would have used the 100-400 for closer shots.

Here is a handheld focus stack of 17 shots of some berries where I adjusted the focus by hand during a rapid burst.  100mm macro, f/20, ISO 3200 ; some cropping, some LR noise reduction prior to stacking.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 80D
Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow