2nd camera to complement E-M10 II?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DaPonti Contributing Member • Posts: 566
2nd camera to complement E-M10 II?

Hi,

I’m planning a trip which will includes a few days to the north of Lapland in November. I have an E-M10 II, which isn’t weather or freeze proof. My previous camera (a58) wasn’t either, and it had no issue in Russian winter; so I’m not too worried, and I have spare batteries.

I’m nevertheless considering bringing a second camera as a back-up because this is part of a long trip and I’d hate to have a broken camera in the middle. It’d also limit the amount of lens changing.

In the long term I want a 2-camera setup with the second having better autofocus and picture quality than the E-M10 II. Today that probably means the E-M1 II (or maybe a future E-M 5 III), but I’d rather wait until its price goes down

In the meantime, the E-M1 and E-M5 II are relatively cheap second hand, although I don't think they bring me any tangible improvement in picture quality from my current camera.

• With the E-M5 II I'd gain the high resultion mode and better IBIS;
  • With the E-M1 I'd gain decent (?) C-AF and a more comfortable grip for bigger lenses.
  • But both are weather sealed, so should survive well with the 12-40 Pro.

I'm leaning towards the E-M1, because it's not much more expensive nor much heavier than the E-M5 II, and I think I'd value the improvements more. Lack of proper C-AF is my biggest gripe with the E-M10.

What would be your advice? Are there reasons to avoid the E-M1? I've read about dials getting stuck? I haven't looked too much at Panasonic models as I’d rather keep consistency between cameras (easier to quickly switch between them).

DaPonti's gear list:DaPonti's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow