What's wrong with these pictures? Focus? Motion blur? Too close?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ohaya
ohaya Regular Member • Posts: 186
What's wrong with these pictures? Focus? Motion blur? Too close?

Hi,

I was out in our yard messing around today, with my Canon 80D and a Tamron 150-600 G2, and I spotted a hawk (I think) sitting on our mailbox. He she stayed for a few minutes, and I was trying to get a few shots. I am attaching a couple of them below.

While I was happy to get these shots, I was kind of unhappy about the sharpness, and have been looking at them and trying to figure out what is wrong with them, so I am going to post of couple of them below, and was hoping some of you can take a look at them and let me know?

To me, the pictures are just not sharp. Like there is no feather detail (and not much of any other detail, like the eye, either).

Here's some additional information:

• I am not 100% sure what I had the lens set to at that time as far as the minimum distance limiter (I was shooting planes in the sky when I spotted the hawk sitting there. I guess I got kind of excited and I don't remember if I switched the limiter or not.).
  • I've checked the focus points in Canon DPP, and at least one of the pics had a focus point on the eye (IMG_2488) and the others were on various parts of the body.
  • I had the exp compensation -2/3 because I trying to do some adjustments when was shooting just before that.
  • The background (the green things) looks strange to me, like there was a lot of motion? Or, is that just bokeh?
  • The mail box and the bird were kind of in the shade, so the shutter speed is probably not as fast as it should have been.
  • I was braced on the roof of one of my cars, but honestly, I am not that steady hand-holding even when braced like that.
  • The lens had a UV filter on it. I was trying to take it off before I went out today, but it was stuck, so I'm going to have to figure out how to get that off, and it is a huge (95mm) filter.

Anyway, I appreciate any comments.  I am just kicking myself for not doing a better job with these shots :(!

This one has one of the focus points on the birds eye:

This was the first shot in the sequence:

The bird starting to taking off:

Thanks,

Jim

ohaya's gear list:ohaya's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Olympus E-M5 II Canon EOS 80D Fujifilm X-T30
Canon EOS 80D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow