prime vs zoom setup for my 5Ds

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Igor Sotelo New Member • Posts: 24
prime vs zoom setup for my 5Ds

Hi there,

I recently bought a 5Ds, at $1200 it was a no brainer. The 6D at less than $800 was tempting too, but I think will use the automated bounce functions of the 470EX AI that are incompatible with the 6D. Also the 5Ds is probably made to higher standards. The 50MP sensor images have me worried, though.

I was thinking to buy some mid-range lenses like the Canon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200 4.0L IS II and 24-105mm 4.0L IS II, but then realized why not go with professional second hand lenses.

One option is to go with the prime setup:

1) Canon 24mm 1.4L - this lens is more distinctive then the 35mm, can be used for landscape, groups of people in confined spaces, astrophotography

2) Canon 50mm 1.2L - all around lens, unique 1.2 look, portraits, street

3) Canon 135mm 2.0L - great portrait lens

The second option is a mixed zoom/prime setup:

1) Canon 50mm 1.2L

2) Canon 24-70 2.8L - first gen to keep costs down, the reasoning being that wide angle lenses have quite a bit in focus, unless the subject is really close, so the background blur effect of the 24mm 1.4L wide open would be less noticeable than on normal/telephoto fast lenses, and with the zoom one gains a lot of versatility, plus some macro capability.

3) Canon 70-200 2.8L - also first gen, certainly more versatile than 135mm 2.0 and almost as fast, but many people say it's way too heavy, too big and a bit less sharp. I'm well used to carry heavy stuff long time, honestly not sure if weight would bother that much. On the other side, from 135mm to 200mm it's a very small gain in reach, and on the other end,the 50mm 1.2L can replace the 70 and 85mm focal distances of the zoom.

I shoot portraits, street, night photos, landscapes and other stuff.

Maybe will offer photography services on weekends, once I get my lenses setup complete and a second 6D body.

Would appreciate your comments.

Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow