What are scenarios where a Fully Electronic Shutter is useful?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DavidArmenPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 281
What are scenarios where a Fully Electronic Shutter is useful?

I recently purchased the EOS 90D which introduced me to fully electronic shutters for the first time (beside cell phones). Of course, I immediately started using it and taking shots down to 1/16,000th sec just to see what I could produce.

Immediately I noticed that this isn’t meant for any action. Thinking some more, I realized that no matter how fast the shutter speed is, the sensor is physically limited to its 59ms readout so you cannot technically freeze any really fast motion. Even moving the camera “during” the 1/16,000 exposure produces weird results such as severe widening and stretching.

My question is, what would be good scenarios where this could be useful? One thing I can think of is if you need to take a photo completely silently and there is relatively no movement in the frame, Or portraits in very strong lighting if you want to shoot wide open and need a faster shutter speed than 1/8,000th?

DavidArmenPhoto's gear list:DavidArmenPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon Pixma Pro-100
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow