Cross-Hatching: Foveon vs. Bayer

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 15,547
Cross-Hatching: Foveon vs. Bayer

I've been interested in looking at "detail" over the past week or so. Of course, that involves some serious peeping!

But first a little Humble Pie ... in the past, I've been less than complimentary about the Quattro's rendition of detail, mainly as regards cross-hatching ... an apparent lack of gradation in the horizontal and vertical directions. However, it appears that Merrills are not immune to exactly the same thing:

Quattro v Merrill

Only the micro-contrast tells us which is which, eh?

Here's another comparison which adds a low-res Merrill and a DP2 shot:

It's not an effect that I like. Some might say "serves you right for peeping".

It's a bit like my Ferrari paintwork analogy - there might be a virtually invisible scratch but you can bet that the Owner knows it's there ...

Did I mention Bayer? Here's the Merrill versus my GH1 with a Carl Zeiss Jena legacy lens on it:

Please view original size.

I declare that the m4/3 camera with old glass is the Winner, in context.

This Foveon cross-hatching has nothing to do with post-processing - top layer exports are just the same. I believe that what we are seeing is ALIASING caused by a) the lack of a blur filter and b) absence of CFA de-mosaicing.

-- hide signature --

Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 +17 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
dlj
dlj
dlj
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow