Video stabilisation for A6500 versus the RX100s

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Alex Hibbert Contributing Member • Posts: 608
Video stabilisation for A6500 versus the RX100s

Hi all,

I've had a series of small Sonys - RX100 Mark 1, III and IV, and now have an A6500. My primary use is for compact, low light use and with USB charging, and a focus on 4K video output.

All of the cameras have been great in their various ways, but there's been a huge gap in the video stabilisation.

All the footage from RX100s, even the early models, has been super smooth, both panning and static. I gather these are in-lens stabilised.

The A6500 has been very different. with in camera stabilisation and we use a 16mm pancake lens. This appears fine for stills, but just doesn't seem to have much effect on video scenes. (Steadyshot is definitely switched on). Holding the camera still leaves small hand movements very obvious, without the smoothed out look of the RX100.

Does anyone have any input? I can add a G6 gimbal, for sure, but it seems odd as this was never needed with the cheaper RX100s.

Thanks.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Sony a6500 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow