Are Sony Ripping Brits Off?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
IoM_Keith New Member • Posts: 1
Are Sony Ripping Brits Off?

I've been trying to decide whether to go for a Sony RX10 Mk4 or wait for the likely release of an RX10 Mk5. I've currently got a Mk3 but I'm thinking the Mk4 (or Mk5) will be better for getting in to video work, especially with the new touch screen focus. We've got a big holiday coming up in October and I've never really done much video, so if getting a new camera, I want to do it in plenty of time to get used to it before I go away. 
Regardless... in doing research I noticed that Sony RX10 Mk 4 on Amazon USA is US$1,598 while on Amazon UK it is £1,699. 
At today's XE exchange rate, $1,598 equates to £1,282.
Even allowing for the exchange rate fluctuations etc, it appears that in the UK this camera is about 30% more expensive than in the USA. I can actually get a flight from the UK to New York, pay for two nights hotel, buy a camera there and it would still be cheaper! 
By comparison, a Canon 80D & 18-55mm lens is US $1,149 or UK £948 which is almost identical. 
It's kind of put me off Sony at the moment as I don't like to feel ripped off (and don't have time for a trans-Atlantic flight!) Is there an actual reason for the price discrepancy?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow