a7RIV eats stars

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Trollmannx Senior Member • Posts: 5,667
Re: a7RIV eats stars

SilvanBromide wrote:

golfhov wrote:

waldoh wrote:

Does star eater matter if all your after is a nice Astro Image?

Probably not. The artifacts introduced and stars removed so minuscule as to ALMOST be indiscernible in all but the largest prints

Agreed. Research astronomers and astrophysicists should be concerned. The rest of us not so much... ; )

Ha ha haaaa...

This is a good one!

Professional ones and advanced astrophotographers use the right tools anyway.

Only lazy hobby astronomers use ordinary cameras for astrophotography simply because it is easy and convenient. I am a bit in both camps, using thermoelectrically cooled astro cameras now and then, and ordinary cameras quite a lot...

Not scientific accuracy?

How many using Sony cameras as their main tool use it for professional astronomy?

If you want more detailed reading check Jim's blog or hunt down some of the other detailed writings on it.

Or just take some images and see if they provide satisfaction.

Did. After a learning curve the results got quite good actually...

I don't mean to imply that the issue doesn't exist, and I'd prefer to be able to turn spatial filtering off in the menus too. But most people should not be put off using the alpha cameras for night sky shots - at least for artistic rather than 'scientific' ends. : )

The A7III also show spatial filtering and the very faintest stars turn greenish (easy to correct but as little scientific correct as the rest of the information in the image, wrong tool anyway if into science). The greenish faint stars is caused by the RGGB Bayer matrix combined with the filtering, statistically enhancing the outcome towards greenish...

Those complaining about the star eater effect seems mostly those NOT affected like:

- Milky Way photographers

- Nightscape photographers

- Star trails

- Those using cheap and not very precise star trackers

Get a very good mount and auto guider, track the stars perfectly, and the star eater issue shows up is the optics are good enough. Oh wait a bit - with such a setup only an idiot would try to do science with an ordinary camera...

The star eater issue is ugly when scrutinized by a mental microscope, it is there, but actually it does more good than bad when it comes to 99.9 % of the ordinary images we take. So yes it is there but the reputation might be a bit undeserved - after all...

Still - am happily clicking away under a starry sky even with my A7III (and a couple of other Sony cameras), use a good mount and precision tracking, and actually have no problems dealing with the star eater issue - the end results are quite good actually.

Also agree fully that ideally the spatial filtering should be possible to turn off.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow