IBIS vs OIS in Pana 100-300(i)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Serguei Palto Regular Member • Posts: 402
IBIS vs OIS in Pana 100-300(i)

Just for information.

It is beleaved that in case of superzoom lenses the OIS is better than IBIS. With Pana 100-300(I) I have found somewhat different.

Many years ago, after intensive testing my Pana 100-300 in the two modes with EM10 using static objects, I came to a conclussion that IBIS allows for significanly better results at f=300mm. From that time I use explicitely the IBIS mode.

Yesterday I have decided to check the old results in real life. I made of about 200 shots in the two modes, and a few photos below are the best choices of the yesterday walk.

Photos #1,2 are  at f=300mm and for wide-open (f/5.6) lens. The #1 is the best of the series with the OIS. I have to say that the rest photos of the OIS series have only slightly worse sharpness. So, in average the level of the quality is almost the same over many OIS-shots. However, this level of quality is not acceptable for me. Somewhat better result have been received at f/7.1 or f/8, but it is still not good enough.

The situation with IBIS is much better, photo #2. Of about 70% of the IBIS-shots have the quality similar to that of photo #2. However, using IBIS needs some training to minimise the hands shaking. In my case of about 20% IBIS shots were totally lost - their qualite was even below of that in Photo #1. Nevertheless, significantly better results in general make the IBIS to be the preferable mode for me.

At shorter focal length (f = 150 - 180 mm) both IBIS and OIS modes give comparable results, despite I still prefer the IBIS mode, photos #3,4.

I have also found that the IBIS mode results in better sharpness over the whole frame.

Hope these observations can be usefull.

OIS mode; f=300 mm; f/5.6

IBIS mode; f=300; f/5.6

OIS mode; f=177 mm; f/5.6

IBIS mode; f=150 mm; f/5.6

Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow