How can I sell a D3500 to my 12 yr old daughter?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Richard Murdey
Richard Murdey Senior Member • Posts: 2,915
How can I sell a D3500 to my 12 yr old daughter?

'cause if I can't do it, I doubt Nikon can either...

I imagine my daughter to be fairly typical, social life revolving around youtube, tiktok, instagram, line, and centered on her Pixel XL phone. The only time she uses the TV is to hook her Switch to it to play Breath of the Wild, and the only time she uses the desktop PC is to play Minecraft.

The other day she asked to borrow my camera. A camera. So I gave her the D3500 with the micro 40/2.8 DX to try.

I explained that the lens can take pictures of things very close up, and that if she wanted a zoom or a different field of view I had other lenses she could borrow.

I didn't bother explaining about sensors, ISO, NEF formats, or depth of field, or even shutter speed. I put the camera in green mode, showed her how to switch liveview and the flash on or off, gave her a pocket LED video light and let her go.

And it will be very interesting to see if she takes to it, or simply finds the whole thing a right royal pain in the butt and goes back to the camera on her phone. And I'm very curious to know if there is anything I can show her that the dSLR can do that the smartphone can not that might be, in her eyes, the killer feature.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D750 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +8 more
Nikon D3500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow