X-T20 + 18-55 for events: doable, barely ...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sluggy_warrior Senior Member • Posts: 1,735
X-T20 + 18-55 for events: doable, barely ...

Photography is just my hobby, and at work I'm happen to be the only one with that hobby, so I took on the task of taking photos at our annual Summit event

Took about 2,800 shots (and a few dozens panorama sets), culled and processed about 800 to keep. It's not too bad with just the X-T20 and 18-55, considering most of the smartphones can't cope with the poor lighting in the hotel rooms. I don't have an artist in me, it's mostly documentary, but the shots are usable/acceptable (by the team).

Sometimes I was wishing for a better lens, or lenses. For example, in the dim ballroom, instead of spray-and-pray at 1/15s @ 55mm, the 50-140mm f/2.8 would be nice although might be too big, or 80mm f/2.8, or 90mm f/2. However, I need to quickly switch between close-up and wide-angle, so I'd need two bodies. Photography would never be my career so I don't see myself investing in the lenses that I don't use often (maybe renting for a few days?).

Would love to hear from the pros, or someone who was in a similar situation. Would renting better lenses help? Or the benefit won't be much and I should just accept this level of quality (since I don't have the skills/visions to shoot better photos anyway)?

Photos on the highlights page of our event:
https://summit2019.nexusipe.org/highlights

Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow