90D mini-review

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DanInSoCal Contributing Member • Posts: 949
90D mini-review

I happily owned a 50D for the better part of a decade. I kept waiting for Canon to release a camera with Nikon/Sony-ish dynamic range and low read noise, and a state-of-the-art autofocus system, in an APS-C body. Not the 60D, not the 70D, not the 7D2... 80D was close (finally a higher DR, lower noise sensor!) but the AF was far below the 7D2.

Enter the 90D. High DR, low read noise, and by the looks of the specs, AF that matched the 7D2!

I read the manual, and then the more detailed manual online. This camera has a lot of knobs and dials, especially with respect to autofocus. I watched the DPR previews and read several people's guidance using the 7D2's very similar (identical?) option tree.

Initial feedback: this is a huge leap forward. Where on the 50D, ISO 800 started getting noisy and grainy and 1600 was well nigh unusable, I took a photo of my cat (of course!) at ISO 3200, did a little processing in LR and PS, and was absolutely blown away by how clean and noise-free I could get with these conditions.

ISO 3200, Canon 70-200/2.8 IS II @ 120mm, f/2.8, 1/100 sec; minor editing with LR, PS, Topaz Denoise AI. Crop from middle of frame.

Today I took the time to carefully calibrate my Tamron 150-600 G2 lens to this body. The AF is very responsive -- much more so than with the 50D. I am still getting the hang of the various options and when to use them, but the iTR tracking is impressive and repeatable. I had some fun with the goldfinches flitting about in the yard and the trees. I was able to AF on the bird's eye rather than the branch partially obscuring it, using the "spot" focus mode and AI SERVO.

All in all I am very impressed and feel no remorse at all with my purchase.

ISO 400, Tamron 150-600 G2 @600mm, f/8, 1/100; minor editing in PS

ISO 400, Tamron 150-600 G2 @600mm, f/8, 1/100; minor editing in PS

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 80D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow