Why do certain colors change under speedlights?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 14,079
Spot color adjustment

pixhead wrote:

I had been shooting Fashion a while now, I observed that there are a few colors come out correct I shoot on AWB and I have used Gray cards, but they are not corrected in any under circumstances. Now I am thinking to buy Color checker keeping in mind the value of shooting color in Fashion. But before that I wanted to why does it happen for some colors only, I am listing samples change in photos.

White balance only fully corrects neutral colors: white, gray, and black.

It does act as a “pivot” for all of the other colors, adjusting them systematically with respect to gray, but it does not adjust the colors relative to each other. Basically it’s impossible to use white balance to correct all colors if they aren’t accurate to begin with.

Color calibration is how you get the colors more accurate, but it isn’t perfect, as the common ColorChecker target only has 18 colors. Typically, after you do white balance and color calibration, you then do spot color adjustment, where you force some inaccurate colors to what they should be.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow