Mini 90D Review from a Prior Rebel Shooter

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 3,993
Mini 90D Review from a Prior Rebel Shooter

I have only had a one day opportunity to work with my 90D but I think I have some comments that might be of interest for anyone planning to upgrade.  Note, I have never used an 80, 7DII or more advanced camera.  Also I do not shoot video.

IMAGE QUALITY

When I jumped from 12 mp to 18, I could see some improvement.  Likewise with the jump from 18 to 24.  The jump from a 24 mp T6s to the 90D is very substantial.  There is a lot more to the improvement than just the extra pixels.  Software plays a big role.  More on that later.

AF

One of my complaints on all my previous Canon cameras has been extremely poor AF for 1:1 or even 1:2 or 1:3 macro.  The macro AF for the 90D is very much improved.  It is not 100% for 1:1 macro in low light and/or with low contrast subjects, but it is way better than before.  I can stop cursing Canon engineers every time I shoot handheld macro.  For general use the AF also seems super.  It works much better in both low light and low contrast situation.  It worked well on my 100-400 which has also been an issue with my Rebel models.  I cannot tell you about shooting BIF or sports and AF tracking.  Certainly there are enough options that are available to fine tune the software.  I like the joy stick and group/point selection functions but again am not expert with this.

FEEL AND EASE OF USE

The weight and feel is close to my previous Rebels.  It is slightly bigger and heavier but neither were issues.  It took me a couple of hours to get used to all of the extra controls, options and settings.  I picked up the basics quickly and love some of the new features such as the bulb timer.  It expect it is only going to take a few days of use for all of the settings, buttons and features to become second nature.  Maybe that is a bit optimistic but it should not take long.

HIGH ISO/DR

I don't need to wait for lab reports and studies.  Both are remarkable.  I don't care how much is due to the sensor and how much is due to the software.  I just want great results.  Again, more about the software later.

Please let me know if you have any specific concerns or questions.  I also recommend you read my next post on the software.

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
Canon EOS Rebel T6s (EOS 760D / EOS 8000D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow