Re: Questions for KP Owners

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
candgpics Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: Questions for KP Owners

Hi:

I was hoping some KP owners could give me their feedback about questions I have about the KP.

I have a K1, K3, and K5ii and typically shoot MMA, BJJ, and fitness pictures and shoot some of the pictures in my home studio. I use the K1 for most of this work (all a hobby, though).

I used to use the K3 and K5ii prior to the K1 for the same work.

I would like to have a newer back-up/second to the K1 when I do these shoots, such as the KP--which has a little better image quality than the K5ii and K3, and is a bit smaller.

I often shoot in the 3200 ISO range for events, crop, and sometimes print reasonably large. I also have to raise shadows given uneven lighting.

Shooting sporting related events is not Pentax's strength, of course, but I made my peace with that years ago.

The KP has a number of "drawbacks" that in isolation might not matter too much to me, but together I wonder how much of an impact they will have (e.g., no LCD top plate, lesser battery life absent the grip, 1 card slot, and a very small buffer).

I have thought about waiting until the next APS-C flagship comes around, but that may or may not happen and nothing appears imminent.

I was thinking of looking for Black Friday/Holiday sales (here in the US) for the KP, which is already at a fairly low price; perhaps there may be a battery grip package deal again.

Are there KP owners who use the KP for pictures/events perhaps as a backup for the K1 or other higher end body who have found that the KP's strength's (improved APS-C image quality, small size, and 5 axis shake reduction--although the shake reduction has lesser utility for sports) outweigh its weaknesses?

Battery life can be addressed through the grip, although that adds a bit of size and bulk.

The 1 card slot is probably fine. I will rue the day when a card gets corrupted, but it has not happened yet.

The missing top plate can be remedied by use of the viewfinder and quick looks at the LCD display.

The buffer will be a limitation, but the K1 only shoots at a bit more than half the frame rate and the real life buffer is only about 1.5 times the KP (rated) buffer.

Do other KP users find these limitations, when combined, make the KP less applicable to somewhat faster action/activity?

Any other concerns?

Again, this would be a back-up/second camera and I would use it accordingly, but I would not want to be disappointed.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

candgpics's gear list:candgpics's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +9 more
Pentax K-1 Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow