Some more images from Vancouver Island - Orcas/Killer Whales

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,716
Some more images from Vancouver Island - Orcas/Killer Whales

This is a follow up to a thread that I started a week ago:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63066738

My wife and I in recent years have really enjoyed watching whales and dolphins and we have taken seven trips in the last eleven years to see them: Hawaii, British Columbia thee times, South Africa, and twice to Mexico. Our Vancouver Island trip will probably be our last one.

Dolphins are incredibly difficult to photograph well and most whale shots are pretty boring, but here are a few more from Vancouver Island, starting with our favourite, orcas or killer whales.

Any C&C welcome.

The first three images are from an evening boat trip following a pod of four Biggs killer whales, aka "transients". A mother and three sons hunting, and killing, seals. Very nice light and calm enough sea to produce some reflections

Taken in evening light with backlighting to show up the spray from the blow. I posted a very similar image of two whales in my previous thread, but that shot wasn't totally sharp. This one is.

One of the other males from the same pod. An interesting bow wave.

The same male from a slightly different angle and closer. Nice reflections. This is starting to give you some idea of just how big a male orca can be.

Now three more, "residents" or fish eaters this time, in rougher water and into the sun.

A male. No reflections, not such distinct bow waves, but the sun creates an effect in the water which I like.

Another male and head on. This gives a good impression of size.

A slightly smaller female with a different shaped dorsal fin.

Now a pod of four more Biggs killer whales, grandmother, mother and two sons. Further away, but with a misty atmosphere and more interesting backgrounds.  I am not sure about the white balance on these shots.

A male (nearest) and female just starting to surface and another female behind. No blows yet. I like the reflections and bow wave patterns of this shot.

All four pod members, some surfacing, some diving. For almost any other marine mammal, this is the scariest sight in the entire ocean.

A male with wonderful clouds sitting on the mountains behind. I need to do more PP on this shot to "improve" the clouds.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow