A7iii or A7Riii for wildlife

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chefski
Chefski Regular Member • Posts: 400
A7iii or A7Riii for wildlife

I have been capturing wildlife images (hummingbirds to humpback whales and anything in between) with the Sony A-mount system for several years now. Have used the A55, A57 and now the A77ii (since Nov 2014) with the Sony 70-400G and Tamron 150-600 (both original versions). My A77ii now has just over 102K shutter actuations and even though the shutter is rated for 150K actuations, you never know where on the bell curve it falls. I am headed to Tanzania in February 2020 for a second safari and feel that now is a good time to look at upgrading my system. Since Sony's focus appears to be with the E-mount system, that where I am looking.

I am considering getting a FF body (A7iii or A7Riii), an APS-C body (a6400 or a6600) and the FE 200-600G OSS lens. If Tamron comes out with the 70-180 F/2.8 as rumored, then I may pick that up as well. I could put the 2.8 lens on the FF body for early morning and evening game drives and have the 200-600 on the APS-C body when reach is needed (at the locations we are visiting, vehicles must stay on the roads unlike our first safari in Botswana where we were able to go off-road). All of these bodies allow for capture of 4K video - my A77ii only allows 1080p and that is not very good.  Lately, I have started to capture video clips in addition to still images.

The A9 and rumored A9ii are beyond what I want to spend for a body. I don't believe I need the 61MP of the A7Riv. My question then is between the A7iii and A7Riii (now within $500 of each other in price), which is better for wildlife photography? Does the better A7iii AF outweigh the A7Riii's extra resolution and absence of an AA filter?

If there are other considerations between these bodies, then I would appreciate you enlightenment.  I will have a Sony RX-100VA for short range and environmental shots.

I will post an equivalent question on the APS-C forum for feedback on the APS-C bodies but if you have experience with those, then please add your feedback here. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Chefski

Chefski's gear list:Chefski's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 III Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow