Low light lens for M10 MkIII?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: Low light lens for M10 MkIII?

malcolmbebb wrote:

Thanks - my problem is that I don't have a clear idea what conditions I will find on our planned Norway trip, so I'm trying to get a kind of "one size fits all eventualities" for both the anticipated low light (but I don't know how low) and the landscape shooting that people tell me I will want for the lights, if they cooperate. It's expected to be a one-off trip.
Then I want to be able to use it for my normal stuff back home afterwards, while maintaining domestic harmony on cost and quantity of kit :-).

So 35mm-ish equivalent (thus around 17mm or so on MFT, if I've understood correctly) and F1.8-ish sounds around the right place to begin. Then, of course, choose a lens.

My P5 came with an 17mm f1.8 Olympus prime lens.  Compared to my Panasonic 20mm f1.7 it doesn't take any better pictures, but it's a thing of sheer jewel like beauty.

Olympus primes are fancier looking, and you pay more, for satisfying your vanity.

But look at my gallery for shots made in JPEG with either the Oly 17mm or Panny 20mm.

If they aren't the finest, it's me and not those lenses that's to blame.

Even my old cheap Olympus pancake f2.8 17mm made some nice pictures.

But I'm not giving up my new Olympus 17mm f1.8.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow