Wide angle recommendations for Nikon

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
djd97 Junior Member • Posts: 36
Wide angle recommendations for Nikon

I've been looking into getting a wide angle lens and can't quite decide which is the best way to go. I currently have a D7000 and do most of my picture taking when I know I'm going somewhere interesting. I mainly shoot landscapes, cityscapes, and the occasional wildlife. I currently have a Nikon 24-85mm F2.8-4D and a Nikon 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G.

There have been more than a few instances when I really wish I could've gone wider than 24mm, which is what's leading me to this post, today. I've always tried to go with FX lenses leaving me the opportunity to upgrade to an FX body in the future, but as time goes on and more and more mirrorless cameras come around, I feel like 'future proofing' with an F-mount lens seems silly. I know it can be adapted to new mounts, but that seems less than ideal (extra bulk and potential quality loss).

I was originally looking at the Sigma 14-24 F2.8 ($1200) since I wanted to go with an FX lens, but then I decided to look at DX lenses and came across the Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 ($600), and Nikon 10-20mm f4.5-5.6G (currently $280). I think I'm now leaning towards the Nikon since it is so much cheaper that it negates the FX future proofing imo given that I already have concerns about future proofing on an F-mount anyway. Alternatively, I know that the Sigma 14-24mm is a whole other level, but is it worth spending four times as much on?

TL;DR Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6G DC vs. Sigma 14-24 F2.8 DG vs. Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC.

EDIT: It seems like the Nikon 10-20mm AF-P isn't compatible with my D7000. So, I guess that might change the question a bit -- depending on the consensus of the 10-20mm vs. the Sigma 14-24mm. IF the 10-20mm is a more worthwhile choice than the Sigma 14-24mm (assuming I had a compatible camera), might it make sense to upgrade from the D7000 and still get the Nikon 10-20mm as opposed to the Sigma 14-24mm? (Keeping in mind I don't care about video in the slightest).

djd97's gear list:djd97's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow