Do we really need better Autofocus?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MaciekPruski Regular Member • Posts: 211
Do we really need better Autofocus?

It seems to me that camera companies lately focus very much on AF improvements- reliable tracking, eye AF, CAF etc. Most flagship models distinguish themselves from the midrange by autofocus capability ie. Olympus EM1x, Sony A9.

The reviews also often give this a lot of weight like it's one of the most important features of a camera.

Frankly, I don't really need it. It can be nice, of course, but not nice enough to pay several hundred dollars for it. I use Pentax cameras that are supposed to have way worse AF than competition and somehow I manage to get my images in focus, including running kids, pets, people in motion etc. Continuous AF works just fine for my needs.

I wish they focused on better dynamic range instead, or optimisation of image processing so I don't have to adjust contrast in post, better colors, computational imaging etc. Like things that smartphones do better than real cameras these days.

I think the marketing departments of camera companies succeeded in convincing photographers that they should throw bags of money at cameras with great AF when in reality flagship-grade AF is niche and only really needed by select pros who shoot sports or say people who photograph birds..

MaciekPruski's gear list:MaciekPruski's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +5 more
Olympus E-M1 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow