Final updates on using Altson CEF-NZ adapter

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 11,722
Final updates on using Altson CEF-NZ adapter

The Altson CEF-NZ adapter allows photographers to use Canon EF mount lenses on Nikon Z cameras. Included are most Canon EF lenses and several Sigma and Tamron lenses. (See the current list at http://altson.net/single-post-NZ.html)

Compatibility:

My experience with the adapter on a Z7 is that aperture control works perfectly, autofocus function sometimes works and when it works it works very well.

But after a week of working with, it my conclusion is that generally it is best suited for manual focus work.

There is an issue with metadata that I will get to shortly.

Build quality:

The Altson CEF-NZ appears and feels to be well made and solid. Lenses and body solidly mount to the adapter. There is a Micro-USB port on the inside of the lens side of the adapter, the purpose of the port is to allow users to update the adapter’s firmware.

While lighter and smaller than Nikon’s FTZ adapter for using Nikon F mount lenses, the FTZ controversially incorporates a tripod mount. Although there are people who think that the FTZ’s tripod mount is a bad idea it actually makes sense if you regularly use F mount lenses on your Z camera when using a tripod as it places the balance point forward and supports both the mass of the lens and body.

The Altson CEF-NZ lacks this tripod mount and I think that is a mistake if you shoot with heavy, large aperture prime lenses or wide angle to short telephoto zooms. If you are using smaller lighter weight lenses I do not think you will miss the tripod mount.

The EXIF issue.

The adapter  transmits lens focal length and aperture data to the camera where it is recorded correctly in the EXIF metadata but oddly, no matter which EF mount lens you use with the CEF-NZ adapter, in the EXIF metadata it is  registered as a Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S lens, which is weird enough but can cause another problem if you shoot raw files as Capture One Pro and Adobe Lightroom Classic use the lens registration to apply lens correction data. I have been in correspondence with Altson and they confirm that they see this too with their tests with various lenses but so far have not been able to figure out why this is happening or how to solve it.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Nikon D850 +1 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow